Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Love is in the air

Yeah love is floating all over the place. Not necessarily in my vicinity, but I couldn't possibly hate on Valentine's Day. It's a combination of all my favorite things - Pink! Candy! Romance! I'm such an unashamed sucker for the holiday. Of course, I wouldn't complain if a certain boy shows up at my doorstep on Sunday morning with one dozen pink roses and asks if I would watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's" with him. But siiiiigh. That is oh so beside the point. No matter what happens on Sunday, I think it's important to look and feel good while it does. What does one rock on Love Day U.S.A? Allow me to offer some suggestions with the help of net-a-porter.

Casual, comfy and cute

I love this dress. It's a Preen masterpiece, but don't go breaking the bank for this exact look. There are comfy breezy cotton dresses invading every last Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, and H&M out there. I can see it working with a leather jacket, tights, and boots. The best part is that while you'll look fantastic and put together, the look is completely effortless. You can wear it to the romantic dinner at the perfect italian place, then kick off the boots and jacket when you are cuddling on the couch watching a movie afterwards. Or if the day's agenda involves coffee with the girls and people-watching in the park, you're still set!

Pretty, sweet, and playful

I usually can't stand Juicy Couture, but this dress is just the ticket. It's the perfect kicky look for a Valentine's Day party. And like I said with the Preen look, don't go splurging. Look for something short with a playful print and a few ruffles. I can easily see myself wearing this in a crowded room full of friends, snacks, and music. Boots could work wonders with this dress, but if you're feeling flirty, opt for candy-colored Mary Jane heels. Lacquer up those nails, throw on a long string of pearls, and you're good to go.

Elegant, demure, and vintage-inspired

This Lela Rose number is perfect for dinner at a fancy restaurant followed by dancing lessons or strolling hand in hand on the city streets. It's cold out there, so pair it with your favorite wool coat, nylons, and nude pumps. If you shudder at the thought of wearing white this time of year, any neutral would do. And trust me - once you've found the perfect sheath dress, you will wear have it around for ages after its first wear. It's a handy go-to frock for special occasions.


I know - only three dresses. Super weak. But it's also 9:30 on a Wednesday night and I still have some reading to finish. This week is shaping up to be a good one. All of my classes have been going well and everyone's been in a generally pleasant mood. Plus goodness... that snow! I was walking around outside with Pat and Abby and Justin last night and it was the kind of perfect that you really want to talk about but say nothing because you realize it'd ruin the moment. Snow sparkles, even in the dark. And there's nothing like three of your favorite people in the entire world to help you forget how cold it is. Everyone have a good rest-of-the-night. Love you all!

No comments: