Saturday, April 26, 2008

A word on my obsessions

I'm sure you lovely readers are no strangers to my obsessions; The New Yorker, The New York Times, Audrey Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Feist, and Tina Fey flicks, and alliteration. These are the things I manage to work daily into my blog. Why? Because they make me happy, and there's nothing better than sharing that joy. So, the elephant in the room... My designer obsessions. You know them well - Betsey Johnson, Nanette Lepore, aaaaaand Chanel. I've been thinking about the three even more so than usual lately, and I kinda feel like blabbering a bit about their beauty.


First of all, the designer herself. I adore Betsey Johnson as a person. The bleached blonde hair and cartwheels had me at hello. She embodies the rock star princess mentality of her brand. And then there's the clothes themselves. I one witnessed a girl decked out in Abercrombie pick up a Betsey Johnson bag at Nordstrom Rack. She examined the bag with interest, eyes focused on the cherries covering a clean white background. I, who had been a little judgmental of her Ugg boots and fake Coach sunglasses felt a little remorse. If the girl was showing interest in a Betsey Johnson bag, her style couldn't be nearly as generic as I had suspected. Then the girl set the bag down in a sort of shock. I waited until she left to see what had brought on the bag rejection. There it was. The bag was trimmed in black patent leather and studs. That's when I realized why I loved Betsey Johnson so much. There's a certain tongue-in-cheek thing going on with everything she designs. Yes, most of the pieces, in their tulle and lace, are girly beyond belief, but there's always a teasing touch that sets them apart. And that is why my heart belongs to Betsey.


I didn't actually own any Nanette Lepore until this year, but I've always been drawn to her none the less. Starting with her logo, a curly font with floral bookends, and ending with her namesake scent, everything about this designer is perfection. If any of you were able to get your hands on the result of her collaboration with Keds, my hat goes off to you. Those shoes were the perfect expression of the modern gypsy queen style that I perceive the line as being all about. Every Nanette Lepore piece is classy and pretty with a personable edge. I could wax further poetic, but it's now time to move on to the ruler of the fashion world - Chanel.


Chanel No. 5, the cardigan sweater, quilted two-tone ballet flats - we owe all of these simple little staples of the fashion world to Coco Chanel. Maybe in the complete spectrum of things, they don't seem like much, but take them away, and we're left with little next to nothing. Chanel No. 5 is a scent I wish I could wear. Alas, it has never done well on my skin. But that doesn't mean I'm not entirely in love with it. One sniff sends me to kindergarten, playing dress-up and my grandma's perfume. It's comforting and nostalgic. It dresses up for evenings and lays low during the day. It has yet to be matched in quality and icon status. Now the cardigan sweater. I wish I had more of those things. They are just lovely and versatile and add that special something to nearly every possible ensemble in my closet. And those flats! I have maybe three or four pairs made with quilted love and they can't be beat. Mmmm... Chanel.

That's all for today. I have to go finish my chores so I can go out tonight. I'm seeing a movie with Maura and Ty. We'll probably go to the new Judd Apatow one or the fabulous Tina Fey-Amy Poehler project. I'm pushing for the latter, but we'll see. Love!

No comments: