Sunday, April 6, 2008

Lip Smackers and first dates

When I was in the eighth grade, my mom and I were walking through Target when we came across Lip Smackers Dr. Pepper chapstick. This was during my unfortunate lip gloss "collection" days, when I spent every cent I had on cheap and sugary lip products from Claire's and drugstores. I had a popcorn flavored balm, and syrupy Hershey's chocolate gloss. Each and every product released from Bonne Bell and their baby company, Smackers went straight from the shelves to the cosmetics drawers my sister and I had set up in our bathroom. So naturally, I was looking at the Dr. Pepper Smackers with decided intensity.

I reached for my wallet shiftily, waiting for my mother to object to the potential purpose. Instead she just smiled and started to tell me about how her college roommate always wore it. And she told me it was a flattering color and tasty and moisturizing and just a little bit sparkly. I was sold. Now let's fast forward to the now. I don't currently have a tube in my possession, but this is truly a first. When I went on my first date with my boyfriend, Dr. Pepper was my lippie of choice. That was two years ago and he still can't drink Dr. Pepper without thinking about me (at least that's what he says). And the color! My uber-fashionista sister has been known to slip the lippie from my pile of makeup into her purse before she goes out. It's just the right amount of tint. I could go on forever, but I don't want to bore you. Alrighty. Kisses! I'll post again soon.

No comments: